DONATE

Click here to donate to the HOHCA through Twickenham Church of Christ via Paypal

Friday, July 12, 2013

So you are moving to another country...

...was the words I heard from the AT&T uverse customer representative.   She did promise that the final  bill would arrive before I left the country.  We have already cancelled the service, yet I had to call in to find out the final bill (of course I could pay it over the phone for a charge..).

I spent much of my Friday on the phone with different bills companies trying to clean up the rest of the bills and services that are about to end before leaving.
I remember back before the internet was so useful for everything that you actually had to call people on the phone, wait endlessly on hold (even use your cell phone minutes) and talk about questions with your bills and possibly even payments.  For younger people, this might seem foreign, but it did happen.

Like many people before me (and I am sure after), I have a credit card bill that I do not have a  credit card (physically) for.  It always appeared under one bank company until this month.  Of course, the card is not sitting in my wallet and I have not received anything in the mail to know where the bill went on the internet.  I do find a phone number and start inquiring about the "lost" bill.  Tanya is listening to my inquiry and after a large amount of time (good thing we text now and not use all those minutes) and five different customer representatives and transfers, I have found the one that can help me!  Here is my conversation:

Cust Rep.- How can I help you?

Me- I am looking for the company who now is managing my credit card ______.

Cust Rep. - Could I have you card number?

Me- I do not have it.

Cust. Rep- Could I have your social number?

Me- Sure, _ _ _ - _ _- _ _ _ _

Cust. Rep-  Were you wanting to make a payment?

Me- No, I want to set it up again on-line.

Cust. Rep- You need to get you card to set up on-line.

Me-  I do not have a card.

Cust. Rep-  Hmm.. (sadly)  Did you lose it or rip it up?

Me- Ripped it up.

Cust. Rep- Hmm.. (disappointed)  Your account indicates that was a replacement card.  What happened to the original?

Me- I ripped it up.  

Cust. Rep-  Hmm... (disappointed)

Me- Can I pay it over the phone?

Cust. Rep- Yes.

Me- Okay, I think I will pay the balance later and cancel the account.

Cust. Rep- Was there anything else I can help you with today? (not exactly happy...)

Me- No, thanks.

Cust. Rep- Have a good day, sir (a little annoyed)....

   
    Of course, Tanya was laughing because she was understanding how the conversation is going and what is happening.  Tanya also had a hard time canceling a gym membership.  After being looped several times on a recording, she found out you have to cancel in writing, mail it (snail mail), and wait 30 days....

I also learned that cell phone companies will not charge fees for breaking your contract early if you are moving out of the country.  Of course, you will need to prove it to them with a lease or utility bill in your name...(sounds like school registration).  Not as easy as it sounds being a missionary with no bills in your name, but we will make it work.

So we are moving out of the country... not many days left...

No comments:

Post a Comment