DONATE

Click here to donate to the HOHCA through Twickenham Church of Christ via Paypal

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Last Day at Sam

So this past Thursday was my last day at Sam Houston.  Okay, actually I just took my last three weeks off with built-up personal days, but I did turn in my keys and ID.  What do people do on their last days of work?  I guess we usually say our good-byes, clean up your office space, and take a long lunch.  My day ended up having students take finals, three more students make-up absence failure hours and two more students gain enough hours to start as juniors in the fall.  I did take a couple of moments to talk with teachers, faculty, and students.  I even put my feet up on my desk and talked on the phone for a few minutes to say I have actually done that.

My time in Arlington has been a multiplication table- 12 total years / 4 sections.  I started in 2001 at Crow Elementary teaching 4th grade for three years, taught 6th grade at Crow for three years, became an assistant principal at Atherton Elementary and stayed for three years, then the final three years as an assistant principal at Sam Houston High School.  I have fond memories of all three schools and the people and students I worked with over the years.

Did I know what I was getting into as I moved positions at each school?  No, not necessarily, but I did have a good idea at times.  I always joked that as a new AP, you have to enjoy your first year because you realize by the middle to end of that year the enormity of the job and you are no longer naive about what you need to do.  When I jumped from elementary to high school, it definitely took me the whole year and more to learn and be more comfortable with all that high school entails.  As crazy as it can be at Sam Houston, I will miss it.  The work at Sam Houston is some of the hardest work you can do as a teacher, administrator, and faculty member.  I will miss the work and the assistance we all would give to one another to help our students and community.  The East side of Arlington is all I have known here in the district and I appreciate all of the Sam Houston cluster and the work you do for our students on the East side (Team Texan, y'all).

I have had a couple of teachers joke with me about taking a break and moving to Ecuador.  I would respond... YES, doing a director job in a different culture, language, and curriculum while moving to a different country and fundraising my salary (support) is the break we all are looking for in life.  Do I know what I am getting into with this new venture?  No, not necessarily, but I do have some idea.  And I know that God will be with Tanya and I as we learn, make mistakes, and have success at times.  This is the "break" God has chosen for us to take and do.  It is such an awesome challenge and I know with many of you and God on board, many great things are ahead.  How long?  We will see what God has in store....

No comments:

Post a Comment