DONATE

Click here to donate to the HOHCA through Twickenham Church of Christ via Paypal

Saturday, August 17, 2013

What to do when you find yourself in a ditch...

Boy do I have a fun story to tell you guys!

So today was my first time driving in Ecuador. Now, if you've ever been here you understand what a scary/crazy ordeal it is to be driving.

I wasn't necessarily very nervous about the driving aspect. I have been known to have a bit of road rage back in Texas so I think I  can hold my own. I was just worried about finding my way to the grocery store in the neighboring city and parking the big 'ol van we are currently driving. Well, one of our volunteer teachers from the States, Jill, came with me so that made me feel better.

We got to the Grand Aki with no problems. My parking job was very questionable however. Anyway, Jill and I did our shopping and headed back to the van with about 20 bags of groceries. That is when the day started to go downhill.

I realized that I had locked the van doors and the side window. Normal, right? Well, I had forgotten that the keys don't unlock the van (this is an old van with a lot of other "charming" features). The only way to open the door is to reach in from the side window and push down the automatic button to unlock the doors. So, I had basically locked ourselves out. Two Amrican girls, standing in a parking lot with 20 grocery bags not knowing what to do. Wonderful.

Thankfully we were able to ask the security guard working the parking lot to watch our stuff while we went to the market next door and get a locksmith to jimmy the lock. Of course the guard laughed at us while we were trying to explain our predicament....not very nice of him. however, we did get the locksmith over and he worked at it for about 10 minutes and managed to get it open.

We joked about it being a good lesson on never locking the van window again. I thought that it ended in being a good first outing driving by myself. UNTIL...

I drove the van into a ditch.

After I dropped the groceries off, I headed back down the hill to pick up Cathy for a school meeting we were having at our place. Now this "hill" is about a mile long and is basically one big pot hole. It is tough to drive it. Add in two way traffic, it is every more difficult. Or at least for an American. Us Americans love our space, especially while we drive. If someone gets 4 feet from our cars we freak out. Hee in Ecuador, you have 4 inches.

So, while driving down the hill I see a taxi driving up. I, still being in the Amerian mindset, try to give him plenty of room to get by. However, I drove to close to the side of the stream running downhill. The grown was soft and gave way, therefore causing the van to fall straight in. Oh joy.



I was very fortunate that Hugo and Jenny Sandoval, our "Assistant Principal" and one of our teachers was on their way up and stopped to help. I also had to call Jake and Justin Reeger to come help too. Several other locals stopped to help. Ultimately this is how you get a large van out of a ditch...



With a tractor!

Oh what a day it was indeed. I learned several valuable lessons. Don't lock the van and stop being worried about hitting other cars. Interesting, hu?


Well, in other news here are some updates!

WE OFFICIALLY SOLD OUR HOUSE!
As of Friday, August 16th we are really truly is no longer home owners. Hooray!
Thank you for all the prayers and thought sent our way.

We are also officially in our house in Ecuador. This was Pat and Jerry Snyder's house for the past 10 years. As we've been transitioning for the past two and a half weeks we have been in a small apartment near the Hacienda's. It is nice to have more space (A LOT MORE)... I guess we no longer can make coffee or clean the dishes while being on the toilet. Bummer.
Pictures of the place will come soon!

Teachers come back to work Monday so we are about to hit some crazy busy times. However, we are excited about the work being done here and know that God will be able to use us and the staff at the School of Hope (Hacienda of Hope Christian Academy) to glorify Him.

 A beautiful sunset over our house.

Part of the view from the kitchen window.

And of course, the School of Hope.

1 comment:

  1. I'm laughing hard over here, Tawn Tawn! I'm glad everything ending fine!

    Tommie

    ReplyDelete